The Virtuhcon Centre (Virtual High Temperature Conversion Processes) at TU Bergakademie Freiberg is delighted to invite you to the First Ercoftac Conference on Simulation of Multiphase Flows in Gasification and Combustion - MFGC-1 in Dresden/Saxony, Germany from 18th to 20th September 2011.
The objective of this ERCOFTAC
conference is to bring together experts and scientists in the field of advanced modelling and simulation of multiphase flows in both combustion and gasification. Multiphase can stand for any combination of gas, liquid and solid matter.In addition to the continuously high interest in combustion in multi-phase flows (e.g. in engines, gas turbines or coal combustors for mobility and power generation), gasification for both energetic and non-energetic use (polygeneration) has recently gained significant interest.
Both combustion and gasification are multi-scale problems with subprocesses such as complex gas-phase kinetics, highly turbulent flows, turbulence-chemistry interaction, evaporation and break-up of liquid fuels, heterogeneous reactions for solid fuels, dense particle systems etc.; differences are e.g. the global process fuel/air equivalence ratio and the final targeted products. Despite the significant overlap of the physical processes, there has been only little interaction between the research areas and only recently has gasification gained more interest in the combustion community.
A special issue of Flow, Turbulence and Combustion will be planned after discussion with the Editorial board of the journal.
- LES and (U)RANS calculations of multiphase flows
- Heterogeneous reaction modelling for solid feedstock
- Feedstock characterization
- Mineral matter reactions (ash/slag)
- Calculation of complex thermodynamic equilibria for multi-phase systems
- Gas-phase chemistry for complex fuels and primary reference fuels
- Reduced chemical mechanisms for application in CFD simulations
- Modelling of spray break-up, (multi-component) evaporation and spray flames
- Dense particle systems